Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Okay, I know...

...I said I was going to be better about doing posts a bit more frequently.  And guess what?  It's been over a month since my last.  Bummer, huh?  I'm not going to try and come up with excuses, but just say that when it feels right, I write.  Right now, it feels right.


So I'll begin with the education.  The past few weeks have been quite informative.  I began my class on developing a business plan.  It is a six-week course outlining the contents of a business plan, coming up with one's mission and vision statements, market analysis, and financials.  It is actually a great course and has helped me to help focus on what it is I want to do.  Now, before you get on me for actually taking a class when I could just look online for a template or grab a book, this class allows me to discuss things with others trying to start their respective businesses.  It exposes me to different ideas and opinions that I might have not of considered otherwise.  So far, I have developed a mission statement (what I want my business to provide and represent) and a vision statement (where I want my business to be in the future) as well as some rudimentary market and competitor analysis.  This class has really helped me to focus on what I want.  I won't go through the details, as I've stated them before, but I can tell you this: it will be delicious.  I want a market that is fresh, pure, locally procured, sustainable, accessible, and welcoming.  It should encompass everything that is a trend now, but remain planted on what is good about food: the ingredients themselves.  As Thomas Colicchio says in his Diet Coke commercial "just keep it simple,"  (and yes I understand the irony of Tom doing a commercial about simplicity for a product containing aspartame, potassium benzoate, and "natural" flavors), but the philosophy rings true.



This actually brings me to a bit of a side note.  Health is a big issue when it comes to food in this country.  Diets, shakes and miracle cure ingredients are profuse in our society.  It shouldn't be this way.  Why is it that there are exponentially more cases of cancer, type II diabetes, and heart disease in this country than 50 years ago?  I'll give you a hint; it's not due to population expansion.  It is my belief that we don't eat as much FOOD as we used to.  I won't answer this question any better than Michael Pollan (I know I told you to read his essay, but I believe that he his a new food pioneer and should be taken seriously).  READ HIS BOOK In the Defense of Food (Penguin) for the most profound look at our society eats today.  It is short, sweet, and to the point.


Anyhoo, the other classes have been equally as informative.  My legal class has actually taught me a lot about what an owner is and is not liable for.  Ultimately, I'm liable for just about anything that my employees do, known as respondeat superior.  I've also learned quite a bit about different torts, which seems to have been assaulted into me (stupid legal joke).  My cost control class has proven to be the most practical.  I've been well informed about forecasting a budget, figuring out plate cost, and yield testing (or learning how much money a plate is making you and whether it is effective).  We've just begun purchase theory and different inventory styles.  All are things that I've never encountered as a grunt in a restaurant.  This, for me, is the important stuff.  We were given our final assignment in which we are to create a business financial situation where it is not profitable and to fix it in a way where it is.  A daunting task, but I have a pretty solid group to work with.  I'll expand on this in later posts.  Finally, the food safety and sanitation class is equally as informative as the rest.  Equipment, sanitation technique, and pathogen control are the main focus.  The process of hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) has been a bit difficult to grasp in the sense of when to implement them, but I'm getting it.  We were assigned a final project to go to a food establishment and attempt to observe good and bad food handling practices.  That should be great fun.



Speaking of fun, who wants to talk about food?  I've had a couple of good ones in the last couple of weeks.  I went to Florida to visit my family and had some amazing pork butt that my cousin's husband made.  Combine that with some collard greens, beans, and cole slaw = amazing.  I know the pic doesn’t give the plate justice, but I'm working on my photog skills.  I had an amazing time with my family, old and new friends.  I can't wait to go back.  Recent ally, I made a wonderful burger stuffed with Cambazola (blue brie) topped with an onion and cherry tomato relish.  Awesome.  I also tried making Indian again since it has gotten a bit colder.  I love the warmth of well-sauced, spicy meat slow cooked.   I found a wonderful recipe for a quick chicken tikka masala.  Try it, you'll like it.  Tonight I made a real simple roast of potatoes, mushrooms and linguica with a bit of olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper.  Serve it with a nice mixed green salad with avocado and you have a delightful and simple meal made in about 45 minutes start to finish.


I just wanted to post a last quick congrats to my stepbrother Chris and my new sister Ali on their nuptials this past weekend.  I had an absolute blast and feel blessed to have been welcomed to be a part of it.  I would also like to thank the families from both sides including the entire Lobus and Bowes clan for having quite the shindig.  I, as well as everyone else, had quite the time.  The location was wonderful, the ceremony was beautiful, and the food was fantastic.  I especially would like to extend a special acknowledgement to the two fathers of the bridal party, John and John, for showing such generosity, style, and grace throughout all of the hijinx.


Let's review.  If you want to make a business plan, I recommend taking a class so you can bounce ideas off of others and take your time with the process.  I believe it is worth the time.  Second, read Pollan's book.  Third, the logistics are intricate yet fascinating.  Finally, pork is good.   I'd like to leave you with a bit of Oceanside fun in the sunshine state...enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Great post! Love the wave pic! Brian will be pleased to hear that the food expert loved his pork! :)

    ReplyDelete